About the Blog

Some people create to enjoy the finished product. I get my greatest satisfaction from the process of creating. This blog is my attempt to share that process with others.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Recipe: Chex Mix

Description: I created this recipe myself by combining and altering three different versions of the traditional Chex mix recipe I found online to better suit my taste. I hope you enjoy it!

Creating the Recipe:

My Mamaw used to make the most wonderful homemade Chex mix for the holidays. In the past few years, however, it's been too much work for her, so we've been eating the commercial Chex Mix. As anyone who's ever had homemade Chex mix knows, the homemade mix is ALWAYS better than the commercial stuff. I asked my mom to get Mamaw's Chex mix recipe for me, but it turned out that Mamaw always used the recipe on the Chex cereal boxes. I looked at the recipes provided by Chex and knew that I would have to alter them.

Firstly, the microwave directions would have to go. I just can't imagine Chex mix tasting good after having been microwaved. After a few searches online, I found a Chex mix recipe with directions for baking it in the oven. Perfect.

Next, I decided to omit the Wheat Chex. Remembering that I always used to leave a small collection of Wheat Chex in my bowls, I decided that it would be silly of me to include an ingredient that I obviously don't like. Instead, I added an extra cup of Rice Chex, an extra cup of Corn Chex, and an extra cup of bagel chips.

My good friend Margaret M. is also a Chex mix chef, and she mentioned that her self-created recipe didn't taste quite right until she added Tony Chachere's to the seasonings. I therefore omitted 1/2 tsp of the seasoned salt and added 1/2 tsp of Tony Chachere's. Turns out, this was the perfect amount of Tony's - just enough spiciness but not too much.

I also altered the type of nuts used in the Chex mix. I originally bought a can of mixed nuts to use in the mix, like the original recipe said to use. Upon opening the can, however, I discovered that some of the nuts included in the mix had flavors which wouldn't "mesh well" (sadly, using that phrase just gave me a flashback to the movie Clueless) with the rest of the mix (e.g., macadamia nuts, brazil nuts, etc.). So, instead of using the original 1 c. of mixed nuts, I used 1/3 cup each of 3 types of nuts that I thought would go well with the Chex mix: peanuts, cashews, and almonds.

Finally, I increased the amount of butter from 6 tbs to an entire stick (8 tbs) of butter. This alteration was made after finishing my first batch, when I decided that there hadn't been enough liquid to coat all of the pieces.

Servings: lasts just a little longer than a week in a 3 person, Chex-mix-loving household

Ingredients:
  • 4 c. Corn Chex cereal
  • 4 c. Rice Chex cereal
  • 2 c. bite-sized bagel chips
  • 1.5 c. bite-sized pretzels
  • 1/3 c. peanuts
  • 1/3 c. cashews
  • 1/3 c. almonds
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp seasoned salt
  • 1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's
  • 3/4 tsp. garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!!)
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
  2. In small microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in microwave (about 40 seconds on high). Mix in Worcestershire sauce and all seasonings.
  3. In large bowl, combine cereals, bagel chips, pretzels, and nuts. Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture. Stir gently so that all pieces are coated with butter mixture. Spread Chex mix in a large, un-greased baking pan with sides.
  4. Bake at 275 for 40 min., stirring mix every 10 min.
  5. Cool on paper towels. Store in airtight container.

My Rating: 5/5 (Can I really rate my own recipe? I guess I can. It's my blog, after all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment