About the Blog

Some people create to enjoy the finished product. I get my greatest satisfaction from the process of creating. This blog is my attempt to share that process with others.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Wedding Record

The Project:

When people get married, they like to make a record of it. These records are sometimes cross-stitched by friends like me, who enjoy doing crafts with teeny tiny details. Since this particular piece is a gift for someone, I wasn't sure if I could post it on here without ruining the surprise.

Then it occurred to me: there are a lot of people I know who are getting married. It could be for any of those people. I don't have to say who the gift is for!

I like this design for a "wedding record" because it uses a limited color scheme, has lots and lots of details, and lacks the cheesy sayings so often used in these patterns.

Materials:

- Pattern
- Floss colors specified in pattern
- Kreinik metallics blending filaments in: gold and pearl
- Fabric????

Here's where I ran into a problem. The pattern calls for a certain color (which is no longer sold) of 32-count fabric from Zweigart, on which the design will be stitched "over-two." The finished design will be about 10" x 8.75." Just the design. Not the design in a frame. The design. That's about the size of a sheet of computer paper - pretty big for a piece of needlework displaying a wedding date and the names of the couple. I wanted to make the design smaller.

The 32-count fabric that I bought created giant stitches when done "over-two" and miniscule stitches when done "over-one." That wasn't going to work. I tried several different fabrics, finally settling on an 18-count cream aida and over-one stitching. I have to come up with a way to make the white designs stand out more on the lighter fabric, but hopefully the finished product will end up being a reasonable size. (It seems like it will fit in an 8x10 frame.)

What I Changed:

It's usually best to follow the pattern in cross stitch designs, so I'm not making any significant variations. However, I am adding some extra detailing to make the design even more elegant.

For example, I want to incorporate some of the stitches I learned in working on my (still unfinished) whitework ornament. I am also making use of my two Kreinik blending filament sets (silver and gold). I have tiny needlework beads in both gold and cream, and I plan on adding those in at strategic places in the design. I've added gold blending filament to one color used in the wedding rings and "pearl" blending filament to give shine to the white flower petals and make them more distinct from the white scrollwork designs.

Random Comments: Hanno??

My first thought when I saw the example design displayed on the front of the pattern: What kind of a name is Hanno? Why not use the generic "John"? Or even something like George? Or Fred? Or Ed? (Ok, you get the idea...)

I mentioned this to my friend, Margaret M., (I'm not talking about myself in the 3rd person, I promise) who suggested that we look up the meaning of the name Hanno. Turns out it's a German version of... "John." Go figure. They DID use John.


















My progress so far:

















Metallic cross-hatch:

















Metallic details on the wedding rings:


No comments:

Post a Comment