About the Blog

Some people create to enjoy the finished product. I get my greatest satisfaction from the process of creating. This blog is my attempt to share that process with others.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Recipe: Taco "Twists"

I've decided to add recipes to my blog. Why? I like to cook, and I like to eat. Because I have so little time for cooking, I especially like to cook recipes that require minimal effort/preparation. Other people probably have the same problem. So, I'm going to share some of my favorite "lazy chef" recipes.

Taco "Twists"

Description: Is it a taco? Is it a crescent roll? Nope, it's BOTH!

Servings: 12

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 1/3 c. frozen chopped onion (Pictsweet) (or 1 large onion, chopped)
  • 2 c. (8 oz.) finely shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 c. salsa (I used Pace mild chunky salsa)
  • 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chiles
  • 1 pkg. Taco Bell Taco seasoning
  • 3 (8 oz.) tubes refrigerated crescent rolls
  • spray butter (opt.)
  • Progresso plain bread crumbs (opt.)
Directions:
  1. In large skillet, cook meat and onion over med. heat until no longer pink. When meat is almost brown, sprinkle taco seasoning on top and stir in as you finish browning the meat. (At this point, cooked meat can be refrigerated for up to 2 days before finishing the preparation.)
  2. Stir cheese, salsa, and chiles into beef.
  3. Unroll crescent roll dough and separate into 12 rectangles. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Press perforations to seal.
  4. Place a little less than 1/2 c. of the beef mixture into the center of each rectangle. Bring 4 corners of the dough to the center and twist; pinch to seal. Pinch all open seams together to seal.
  5. If desired, immediately prior to baking, spray the top of each twist with butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
  6. Bake at 350 for 25-30 min until golden brown.
  7. Baked twists can be frozen for up to 3 months. To use frozen twists, bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350 for 20-25 min until heated through.
My rating: 4/5; really tasty and convenient; definitely a keeper.

2 comments:

  1. Margaret, I made these for my very picky family last night and they LOVED them, even Mary North who is extremely suspicious of all food. Thanks for the recipe. May I suggest posting pictures of the finished product? I don't know why this posted by my husband, but this is Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input, Robin! I'm glad your family liked them. My taco twists aren't nearly as pretty as the ones my mom makes, because I'm not as skilled as she is with handling crescent roll dough. I do suggest completing the taco twists before turning on the oven to pre-heat and after the kitchen has cooled off from cooking the taco meat. The crescent roll dough is much easier to work with if it's still cool from the fridge. My kitchen is tee-tiny, so any warmth from the oven or stove makes the dough too gooey to shape into the little pockets.

    ReplyDelete