About the Blog

Some people create to enjoy the finished product. I get my greatest satisfaction from the process of creating. This blog is my attempt to share that process with others.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Patchwork Wrap

The Project:

My current work-in-progress is a patchwork wrap, knitted from a pattern found in the book Vogue Knitting: Shawls and Wraps and designed by Valentina Devine.

Each garter-stitch patchwork square is knit separately. The squares are knit diagonally (see picture to the right), beginning with one color and ending with a second color. Tails from the two colors are crocheted on to the square as an embellishment, and the squares are sewn together to form the body of the shawl. The fringed edge of the shawl is also crocheted.

How I Changed It:

The pattern originally called for 16 skeins of La Lana Wools "Forever Random" yarn (a gorgeous hand-spun yarn dyed in bold, never-repeating color blends), but I couldn't afford the $27.00/skein price tag (16 x $27 = $432!!!). After doing some research on yarn color blends, I discovered Green Mountain Spinnery's "Mountain Mohair" yarn, which their site accurately describes as having "vibrant and subtle hues with a frosty sheen." It was more within my price range, and the yarns come in a variety of heathered shades that coordinate beautifully.

The pattern organizes the colors used in it by assigning each color a letter, and visually showing which color will be on each half of the square by using that color's assigned letter. These letters are indicated in my color scheme within parentheses. I had to make a slight deviation from the original lettering scheme, because I included two extra colors. Where I included the extra color, it's indicated by either a "1" or a "2" within the parentheses.

The Mountain Mohair colors I used are: Ice Blue (A); Moss (B); Blue Gentian (C1); Maritime (C2); Buttercream (D); Edelweiss (E1); Spice (E2); Elderberry (F); Concord Grape (G); Blizzard (H); Wintergreen (I); Raven (J); and Alpenglo (K)

Materials:

Green Mountain Spinnery Mountain Mohair (30% mohair/70%wool; each skein approx 140
yds.) worsted-weight yarn:
  • 2 skeins each: A, B, D, F, G
  • 1 skein each: C1, C2, E1, E2, H, I, J, K
1 pair size 10.5 knitting needles
Size H/8 (5mm) crochet hook
Tape measure
Scissors
Darning needle

New Techniques Used:

I've never crocheted before, so I had to learn two crochet techniques to do the finishing on this piece: the chain stitch and the single crochet.

I also had to learn how to sew an invisible seam on garter stitches so that I could sew the patchwork squares together.

Progress: I'm a little over 3/4 done with the wrap

The Original Wrap (As Seen in Vogue Knitting):



















My Version:



















Close-ups of the crochet details:













No comments:

Post a Comment